If you are new to angling, there are quite a few terms used that you won’t understand and part of the learning process involves gaining a good understanding of the equipment. Some are obvious and some are not, and with that in mind, here is our list of fishing terms that you will encounter.
- Fishing Rod – Sometimes called a ‘pole’, the fishing rod is usually made from fibreglass or graphite and typically has 2 or 3 sections that fit together. There are many types of rod, each with its own properties, depending on the species of fish you are targeting.
- Fishing Reel – There are two types of reel, a spinning reel with a bail arm that feeds the line in or out, and the other type is called a ‘baitcast’ reel that uses a central spindle. Most anglers would have a couple of each type, which covers all types of fishing.
- Bait – The food that you put on your hook to attract the fish is called bait, which could be either dead or alive, while another type of bait is the ‘lure’, an artificial bait that mimics a small fish. Ground bait is food that you cast into the area to attract fish, which may or may not be used.
- Fishing Tackle – This is a general term that relates to all fishing equipment; rod, reel, line, hook and any other item used by the angler. If you are looking for fishing gear in Australia, the online supplier offers the best deals.
- Cast – The action of using the rod to send the baited hook or lure into the water, which is a skill that needs to be acquired.
- Sinker – Typically a lead weight that is added to the line to gain extra distance when casting and also used when fishing on the bottom. They come in various weights and you should have a varied selection in your tacklebox.
- Landing Net – If you are fishing from the river bank or lake, you will need a landing net to bring the fish out of the water.
- Bite – A bite is when a fish nibbles at your bait and hopefully, the bite will turn into a ‘take’, when the fish decides to consume the bait. It takes a while before you get the feel of a bite and know when to strike (set the hook).
These are just a few of the terms used by anglers and if you search online and order your tackle, you can start fishing and hopefully, it will be a long and very enjoyable hobby.